Friday, February 4, 2011

U.S.S. Atlantis - Step 14 (part 2 of 2), Assembling the Antenna Dish




OK, back to that Antennae dish...





The first thing I noticed when I looked at the model on the packaging is that the little antennae itself had a rounded ball on it's tip which is not mentioned in the instructions. To get this effect, I sanded the antennae dowel to shape (with a pointed end like a toothpick) and dipped the point into a glob of thick CA glue. Then I hit it with accelerator and whala! I also sanded the aft end of the antennae so it would fit into the sensor housing piece we made in part 1.





Here are all the pieces painted and ready for assembly. The dish was painted with Testor's copper, the antennae with, Testors aluminum silver, and the sensor housing with the original dark grey primer I had purchased and didn't like. Turns out it makes a decent dark grey color coat.





And now have the final assembly ready to glue onto the rocket. But first let's get our White color coat on. The less we have to mask the better...

No comments:

Post a Comment