Sunday, January 30, 2011

U.S.S. Atlantis - Finishing (part 1), Final primer coat.




Back in step 8.5, I mentioned that I was not happy with the primer I chose due to the fact that it did not fill the body tube seems and was not very sandable. Well, while shopping at AutoZone the other day I came across this stuff by DupliColor. It touts itself as "High Build" and sandable, so I thought I would take one more crack at getting rid of those tube lines.





I must say I like the results I got with this primer alot better than the Rustoleum I used earlier. True to it's claim, it went on thick, and sanded like a dream. In the following pictures you can see quite a bit of improvement.





The tube lines are gone!





And as a final step before the color coat, I wet sanded the entire model to a very smooth "sheen". Then I wiped down the whole model with a damp paper towel to remove all the primer dust.





Now she's ready for paint. But first, lets go back and finish up that antennae assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment