Tuesday, January 18, 2011

U.S.S. Atlantis - Step 13, Attaching the warp drive tubes...





OK, so it's finally time to attach the warp drive tubes. This is the last major construction step before we start painting and finishing (remember we are going to wait to attach the main deck piece after painting).





The trick here is to get them on STRAIGHT! I decided to go back to the 5 minute epoxy for this step since it will give me those few seconds of adjustment time after it begins to really "stick" but before it fully cures. This proved to be critical as it was a bit tricky to make sure everything was aligned. I wouuld not have wanted to try and do it in the 2-3 seconds you get with CA glue. As can be seen in the above photo, after the epoxy set, I laid down a fillet of CA to "lock" it in.





Here you can see both pylons attached. I didn't get a good picture of it but I also applied a fillet of epoxy to the pylon/tube joint over top of the CA fillet similar to the one between the pylon and main tube as shown in step 9. Next we will return to step 16 and attach the remainder of the dowel pieces to the warp engines and tail fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment