Friday, February 4, 2011

U.S.S. Atlantis - Finishing (part 2), White color coat.




For a color coat, I decided to spend a little extra money and try the "Ultra Cover 2X by Rustoleum. If you recall from step 8.5, I really didn't care much for their primer, but that was only due to it not being high build and sandable. What I did notice was that it covered VERY well, so I thought I'd give the Gloss White a try and I'm glad I did. This is an outstanding paint! It went on smooth with no runs and had an almost mirror-like gloss to it.





At first I tried, light misting coats, but found that with this paint, about 3 heavy coats a few minutes apart gave me the best results.





All in all I would say the painting was successful. No major runs or blemish areas and all of the tube lines seem pretty well hidden. Next we will address what I believe was one of the few shortcommings of this kit, the nose end of the warp engines.

No comments:

Post a Comment