Saturday, December 25, 2010

U.S.S. Atlantis - Step 6, Marking the body tube

Step 6 is a fairly simple one... All we are doing in this step is marking the main body tube with the locations of the engine pylons, main deck, stabalizer fin, and detail parts.




I do this a bit differently than the instructions describe (I know, big suprise there)... First I make a photocopy of the marking guide to transfer it onto thinner paper. You'll find it much easier to align it and get it taped on tightly than the thicker cardstock one that comes in the kit.





The other thing is that I prefer to use a doorjam rather than a ruler to make the lines on the tube. I suppose either works, but I learned this trick when I was a kid and it's always seemed easier to me than trying to get a ruler to lay flat on a round tube with one hand and mark the lines with the other.




Ok, not much else to say here other than make sure your lines are straight and parallel along the length of the body tube. Next up, balsa prep.... Ooooooh fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment